Sunday, February 25, 2007

Tell People What They Mean To You - Now!


We often forget to tell people what they mean to us. For me, this was very important as my mother got older. We never know how long we are here for on this earth. I'm now in my sixties. When I was growing up, and in my twenties, I guess most of us never really think much about passing away.

I had finished high school and was in college. I was a senior. I changed majors, and transferred to a 4 year school, after going to a junior college for 5 semesters. I never thought I'd loose my father so early in his "golden years". He was only about 6 months into retirement, and 67 years old. He went into the hospital and 9 days later, he died. I never got to tell him what he meant to me, or to say goodbye. My mom thought he'd get better, and come home, but I wasn't so optimistic.

Over the years, I've changed. I now tell people how I feel about them. I lost my mom in 2000. She was 92 at the time, and had managed to live on her own from 1967 to 1999. About 6 months before she passed, we had to put her into a rest home. During the 34 years since my father died, I told my mother almost every day I loved her. It was easier for me to let my mom go, because I let her know how much she meant to me when she was alive.

If you think about it, many people "mask" their feelings. After a loved one passes, they feel so guilty, that they spend thousands trying to show the other people around them how much the person meant to them. I'm sure the funeral homes love that, but I don't think the cost of the service really matters to the one who died. It's much better to let them know what they mean to you when they are still here.

So, if you are one of the folks who have managed not to say what you feel to those who are close to you, there is still time. Make an effort, and let them know. For me, I'd rather have a party with family and friends while I'm still alive and here to enjoy it....how about you?

No comments: