Saturday, February 24, 2007

2007 Oscar Winner's - My Predictions



Okay....the 2007 Academy Award winners are just under 24 hours from being presented. I'm going to make predictions for several categories. Bonnie, my wife, and I have been fortunate to see several of the movies during the past few months, so I do have something to base it on. Here goes, my pick for winners are:

Best Movie: "Babel"
This is sort of my best guess. While I didn't see it, I did see the previews....it looked pretty realistic. I don't think "The Departed" will win, but I did think it was a much better than average movie, IO'd rate it an A-. We watched it in the room in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, and it was wellworth the $11.95 we paid for it.




Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio ("The Departed")
He's long overdue. Should have won in the past. He's not the favorite here, but my pick.


Best Actress: Helen Mirren ("The Queen") You can't get any better....she nailed the Queen down, even looks like her. Great makeup!

Best Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy ("Dreamgirls") Eddie is great in this role....who knew he could sing?


Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson ("Dreamgirls")
An outstanding job by a young actress. Surely not her last great performance.













Best Director: Martin Scorsese ("The Departed") Martin is long overdue. The directing in this movie is outstanding! Clint Eastwood has won too many, too often for him to win again. Neither of us saw his movies, but I feel the winner will be Martin.

I personally feel these are the top categories, and I'll not bother to bore you with the rest.

Some other thoughts on the reasons why (or why not) I picked the above....

We saw "Little Miss Sunshine", and both didn't like it. It was sort of an expose on beauty pageants for little girls. I didn't like the language, and I didn't think Alan Arkin is deserving of the supporting actor award based on this performance. As the best movie, "LMS" doesn't even come close. We also saw "Blood Diamond" and "The Departed", as I mentioned above. While both Djimon Hounsou and Mark Walberg had strong efforts in their supporting roles, I think the nod will go to Murphy.

No comments: